Monday, August 24, 2009

Growing as a dancer

Belly dance or Middle Eastern dance has become a passion of mine. I have only been dancing a little over a year so growing into this dance form and the culture that surrounds it has been a struggle for me and an exciting learning experience.

I recently left Michigan for Virginia because my husband was hired as a full-time college instructor. Along with uprooting myself and leaving friends, I left a bitter instructor who wished she could keep belly dance in a little box while she complained about the various muscle aches of old age.

I recently found a new instructor who is enthusiastic and positive in her approach to teaching. She is using the drum solo (something I absolutely adore) to drill movements and improve technique. She is eccentric and interesting but isn't afraid to let it all show in its imperfect glory. Since my 3rd class with her, I have truly been growing as a dancer. While I can see in the mirror that I will need to perform for a few years with a troupe before I will be able to stand on my own as a dancer, I can see my own dance personality emerging. Today in the mirror I did vertical figure 8s and Mayas up and down while bending my knees. I felt like I truly felt the music and for the first time I could see a smile inching across my face. I know that one day I will be able to do improvisation. One day I will make a wonderful performer and a beautiful dancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment